Thursday, June 17, 2010

Disneyland & Other Tidbits

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot. I also saw some Pikachu billboards.



~~~~~

Hi everybody. :>

Disneyland was super fun. I went with my my host mom, Taiga (my host brother), Taiga's friend Shun and Shun's mom. I met Shun (pronounced 'shoon') a few days earlier and totally forgot to mention it, but yeah, he went too. He's super amazing since he knows lots of animu and really likes CLANNAD and other stuff with スーパーかわいい animu girls in it-- like ハヤテのごとく! (Hayate no Gotoku!)、とらドラ! (Toradora!)、けいおん! (K-On!) and リトルバスターズ! (Little Busters!)... god, I just realized those all have exclamation points on the end, lolwut. Anyways, we went on Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain and some Buzz Lightyear shoot aliens thing.





Also, tons of people were wearing Engrish shirts at Disneyland. Here were some of my favorite sayings:
  • KOKO LITTLE LOVE ME I'M THE BEST!
  • LOVELY SWEET MANY FACES WE ARE STARRING IN 200 POP
  • OVER INVISIBLE GOOD TO MOVE BODY IN THE OUTSIDE
  • Cool time! Let's have fun and games.

After Disneyland we went to the airport to welcome back Shun's older brother Ryosuke who had been living in America for a year through YFU. He was pretty awesome too, especially since he knew more animu than his brother. Then I explained to my family how Americans overuse the word "awesome."

High point was definitely when we were waiting for Ryousuke at Narita airport-- I had bought a present for Mami-chan at Disneyland and my host mom started telling another YFU student in America's mom about how Mami-chan was my "girlfriend." I then explained to her how "girl friend" (a friend who is a girl) and "girlfriend" (ラブラブ tiem) is different in English... she was all like "oh" and I was all like "lul" (if you didn't understand that, don't worry).

...well, that was one of my high points. The other one would have to be hearing "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" in Japanese.


And that's about all that happened yesterday that wasn't riding super fast trains for multiple hours to get to Tokyo, Narita and back to Sendai.


Today I got to sleep in and miss school because I was tired, and yesterday I missed obviously because of Disneyland-- the school was okay with both reasons, apparently. :D This week is just filled with tests, so I would just be sitting in the library with other YFU students making paper airplanes and watching movies. One of the English teachers, who is actually French and now knows French, English and Japanese, and who's English class I am sadly NOT in (though both my YFU friends who go to the same school are), has his students watch movies in English all period and then analyze dialogue. Much better than my English class in which I get bad English sentences with blanks in them and fill them in with choices from a word bank, unscramble sentences or pick the common word in two sentences. :/ The cool English teacher told us on Tuesday: "I'm not here so I can teach, I teach so I can be here." ... wat.


And now for two random things that I forgot to mention earlier...

On Monday, my first day of school, they gave me a bunch of stuff including a poster with all the teachers on it drawn as little cartoon characters:



And then I was given a card on which I drew a cartoon version of myself and wrote down my name, birthday and "hobbyies." Then they made copies of it and did who knows what with it-- all I know is that I haven't seen it since.


Also, in the hot springs/bath place, the shoe/clothes lockers cost 100 yen. BUT WHEN YOU PUT YOUR KEY IN TO GET YOUR STUFF BACK IT GAVE THE 100 YEN BACK TO YOU. I was super surprised. I told my host family that wouldn't ever happen in America. :P


There's an evacuation drill in school tomorrow. I'm excited. Bye for now. :D

7 comments - click to comment:

Chris said...

The t-shirt sayings in “English” were hysterical :-) :-) And I would LOVE to hear Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah in Japanese!

The details you give make your experiences come alive. Wonderful!

mom

eli said...

Thanks so much, Mom! :D I actually recorded the song so we can listen when I get home. :) hehe

Kikan said...

Is an evacuation drill like a fire drill? I love the sayings, btw
(this is Anna)

eli said...

Yep... except for all of the drills in one. Like, earthquake, fire, tornado, etc. or something like that... haha.

Anna being... Anna S? :)

Michael said...

That sounds "awesome" :)

I presume you mean Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. At least that's the Disney World version.

I laughed really hard at both of the high points.

eli said...

Yes, that's what it was. :D And yes, it was "awesome" ;P

Amy said...

OMG - I laughed out loud at those t-shirt sayings! I especially liked the "Cool Time" one :)

It sounds like you are having so much fun! I love reading your updates.

Post a Comment

Please don't post anonymous comments-- enter your name, or choose to comment with your Google/Gmail account!