Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Ikebana & Movies & Books & School (all very related, of course)

After school yesterday I (along with the rest of the 留学生 (ryuugakusei, exchange students)) participated in Ikebana club... flower arranging. It was actually very fun, and I found that Ikebana is very very beautiful. :) My host mom has an Ikebana license (licenses exist for everything in Japan, 本当) and had me arrange the flowers once again once I got home!!




Last night I went to a movie/music rental shop and a used book place. :D I saw lots of stuff I recognized and it was fantastic. I didn't bring my camera though. :< We rented Summer Wars as I wanted my mom to see it... not sure when (or if) we're going to watch it though. Best thing of the night: the movie UP's Japanese title: カールじいさんの空飛ぶ家 (kaaru-jiisan no sora tobu ie) meaning Grandpa Carl's Flying House in the Sky... HAHAHA SO FANTASTIC. My family finds it funny too. :P "Cheaper by the Dozen" in Japanese is "12人のパパ" (literally: 12 people's papa) and "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" is "くもりときどきミートボール" (kumori tokidoki miitobooru, literally: cloudy sometimes meatball). Also "Where the Wild Things Are" is "かいじゅうたちのいるところ" (literally: monster's existing place)... :) (also: Anna-- 時々/tokidoki :D )

I bought books for like 100円 each and it was fantastic. Here's a picture of all the anime stuff (books/magazines/manga/etc.) I have... as of now :D





My family is VERY rushed (or so it seems), and I can't go on the computer a lot... my mom says I can only use it for an hour... (I assume that means daily, or something?) but I'm not going to check my email or make blog posts every day. (regarding your comment, sorry Michael :P ) My host brother turns on his desk light early in the morning (aka around 5) or late at night (aka around 12) so he can sit there and do his cell phone... what. It's kind of annoying me. Next time he does it I'll complain and then pretend to be asleep when he answers in a monotonous voice.

Now on a more positive subject... Today in school I exchanged "info cards" with my classmates (for the record I'm in 1年5組 (class 1-5) ... 1 being first year) and right now a few are emailing me. :) Japan cell phones don't have texting, so everyone sends mail on their phone which is their kind of text messaging... so "emails" oftentimes only contain a few words... or characters. Some of the drawings (for the portrait section) on the cards are very funny... most very terrible... but some super cute and amazing. :D About half the people wrote down "Listen to music" "I like to watch movie" or "I like to watch TV" on their cards under the "hobbyies/interests" section (yes, hobbyies). :) And one person wrote down "socoer" under that section which made me giggle inside.

Sorry for that lack of pictures again... >_>

Until next time, bai bai. :D

8 comments - click to comment:

Michael said...

Grandpa Carl's Flying House in the Sky! HAHAHAH

Anna said...

I'm so jealous! It's so hard to find good anime/manga in America!

Chris said...

I absolutely LOVE the Ikebana. I hope you'll do some at home :-) The one you arranged is gorgeous. That's a LOT of anime! Are you reading it in Japanese? Sorry to be dense, but how do you get the email they send you on their phones? On your laptop? The translations of the titles are funny/fascinating!

eli said...

Michael: My Japanese Expression (yes, that's the class-- I also have Hygiene, not Health) teacher looks EXACTLY like Carl from UP. He even wears suspenders. :) I took a picture of him today. hehe.

Anna: I know right. ;_;

Mom: Thanks! Also, it's not anime-- anime comes from the word animation. :) Just magazines, light novels and comics. Of course I'm reading it in Japanese (I'm using the Japanese Dictionary on my DS and on my iPod A LOT). I got through almost 3 pages of one of the light novels as of now. :) hahaha. (hey, it's hard when you don't know over half of the words and you don't know how to read the kanji or what they mean) I get the emails on my laptop... cell phones all have email addresses-- think of it as everyone except me being able to access email on their phone. Or everyone has a phone and is texting except for me-- they send their "text messages" to my computer.

Anonymous said...

omg...do i see...
AZUMANGA DAIOH!?!??!
i applaud your choice in manga XD

eli said...

Isn't Azumangs Daioh just fantastic. <3 :>

Anna said...

Azumanga Daioh is WONDERFUL!!! Gotta love little Chiyo-chan!!

eli said...

Of course. :D But obviously CLANNAD and Toradora! are much better. :3

Post a Comment

Please don't post anonymous comments-- enter your name, or choose to comment with your Google/Gmail account!