Thursday, May 20, 2010

Summer Wars [サマーウォーズ]

Well... this isn't really related to my trip to Japan, but still Japan-related, so... :)

I just saw the movie Summer Wars [サマーウォーズ, samā wōzu] last week for the first time... and it was simply spectacular. I had heard about it in the past, and recently seeing (and loving) The Girl Who Leapt Through Time [時をかける少女, toki o kakeru shoujo], which has the same director, editor and producer as Summer Wars, I decided to check it out.


(click on the image to make it bigger!)


[[SPOILERS FOLLOW]]
The plot, along with the whole movie was very clever, but the animation was simply amazing! So basically, Kenji Koiso is an 11th grade high school math genius who works part time as a moderator of OZ-- a massive online virtual world. At the start of summer break his crush, Natsuki, asks him to pretend to be her fiancé for four days in front of her family. After getting to know the whole clan, he receives a mysterious coded text message from OZ. After solving the code, he awakens the next morning to find himself on the news, framed as a hacker of OZ! Kenji and the family find out the "hacker" is actually an A.I. named "Love Machine," which, by wreaking havoc in OZ, is causing the entire infrastructure of Japan to crumble, and eventually plans for all the nuclear reactors in the world to explode! OH NOES.

Oh, and Grandma's pretty awesome too. Here are some screenshots I took:

(there's probably some spoilers in here, so be careful!)








You can watch the trailer here. The movie isn't yet out on DVD in America, but you can easily find it online... but be sure to buy the DVD when it comes out to support the creators!

Now go watch it! :D


Oh and also, my YFU pre-departure orientation for my trip to Japan is on the 22nd... :)  if anyone cares. heh.

5 comments - click to comment:

irene said...

whoahhh o__o weird
oh heh maybe you forgot to approve it? Idk. But I'll retype anyway XD
(haha lame move by me, i forgot that I had to approve comments so I was wondering why I was so ronrey LOL XDDD)
but yeah! I didn't know you were a tokikake fan <3 I <3 tokikake, I have only seen the movie but I want to see the anime +drama too :DD

Do you know eureka seven?
k-on?
If you do you are totally my hero forever XDD haha. Total anime spaz out time in tokyo :D

I watched the summer wars trailer yesterday and am heading on a mission to find it today >:D

Laura said...

That's sounds confusing, but at the same time interesting! I wanna' see it :]
The animation kind of reminds me of the animation from Digimon the Movie (your screenshots at least do).

eli said...

Irene: I ADORE K-ON! SO MUCH. Watching the second season currently. :) :D And I've heard of Eureaka Seven, though I've never seen it. :> You can find Summer Wars online if you Google it, probably... or download a torrent of it or something... though technically it's illegal since it's a movie. But then again it's not licensed in the US, so... well idno. :P

Laura: You HAVE TO see it sometime! Also, the director (and perhaps the animator/artist) is the same for the Digmon series/movies, Tokikake and Summer Wars is the same person!! Nice observation. :) I've been told Summer Wars was originally based off the concept of the Bokura no War Game Digimon movie.

irene said...

OMG I WATCHED IT.
so much love! everywhere!
I love kazuma! but yeah, king kazuma really reminded me of that... one... digimon. ... like a cross between rena's and henry's. .___. /nerd/
I watched it on megavideo, hi-def and subs :D
YOU SHOULD TOTALLY WATCH E7. so much awesomeness packed into 50 episodes!
K-ON is amazing! <3
I can't decide which of the band members I like the best ;___; so I won't! :D

eli said...

You watched it already!?! I am seriously impressed. Kazuma is awesome. BUT SO IS GRANNY. WITH THAT SWORD AND STUFF, OH MY GOD. and now i want to learn hanafuda.

I might watch Eureka Seven sometime... it looks decent, but I'm not super into that shounen mecha military anime stuff. :P ... OH. and talking about military anime, that reminds me of So-Ra-No-Wo-To (Sora no Oto)... WHICH HAS ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME CHARACTERS AND ART STYLE AS K-ON! AND IT'S SCARY HOW SIMILAR THEY ARE. look it up .__;

Yui and Azu-nyan are my favorite of the band members by far. :3

Post a Comment

Please don't post anonymous comments-- enter your name, or choose to comment with your Google/Gmail account!