Friday, July 2, 2010

Random pictures & MeySen (明泉)

School has been [moderately] fun... but not really much to write about. :) Instead, pictures:




Not going to try this-- especially since it has ION ELECTROLYTES in it.


NHK, a childrens' television network. only in Japan...


On the way to school outside of a store named "JUNKs" ..... yeah.


This is why MeySen exists (second part of this post for more info)


One of my favorite pictures so far :)


I sent out four postcards today. :) Also, I really wish schools in America had 校歌 (kouka, school songs). Seibun's is really nice I think-- I got a copy of the lyrics yesterday and we sang it today in music.

Hmm, also, just 'cause Google Maps is fun to play with... here's a map of where my school is. :D

View Larger Map


Tomorrow and Sunday I'll be going to the MeySen high school camp with my friend Shun and staying overnight there next night... I think it will be quite fun. :D MeySen (明泉 - the 'sen' kanji is the same as 'Izumi,' which is the prefecture it's in!) is... well, it could definitely be a big evil institution corrupting the minds of Japanese children. :P It's a kindergarten, but also an "after-school academy" (not a juku/cram school) for elementary through high school students. It's a normal kindergarten, but from elementary school and up it's basically an English-studying and conversation school (though they refuse to identify as that). It's very... conservative (aka Christian) too... like, HIGHLY. For example, I went yesterday to see what it was like with my mom, and some teacher (who are all外人 - foreigners, by the way) asked my my name... the conversation went a bit like this:

Teacher: Oh hi, nice to meet you... what's your name?
Me: Eli.
Teacher: Oh! That's a bible name.
Me: *breaks out laughing*
Teacher: I mean it. Are your parents Christians?
Me: Uh.... Um.... They're not practicing, but yes. (kind of a lie)
Teacher: Oh I'm glad. But of course what is most important is your faith to the Bible and accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior.

Though I think I'll have fun. we get to read the bible too. :) (Michael - THE MOUND OF OLIVES!!!! :D ) ...don't get all religious on me, Mom.


I just checked out their website and found that the school motto is "Mercy and Truth," lolwat.

Oh also, THE PRINCIPAL BY HIMSELF gives all the children [very strange] English names so the teachers don't have to struggle to remember and pronounce their Japanese names... my host brother's name was Brad... oh, and also, the parents never meet the teachers. When my mom took me last night, she met Taiga's teacher for the first time... "Are you Brad's mother?!" ... I facepalmed (used that word just for you, Mom). Also, my friend from YFU goes with her host sister sometimes... she told me she had a conversation somewhat like the following:

Teacher: What do you think will happen with the world in the next 20 years?
Friend: Well, related to politics, I think democratic governments will become more prominent in some countries.
Teacher: *looks disapprovingly* Uh-oh. Well, we don't want that to happen... anything else?
Friend: *thinks 'what the hell'* Flying cars.

MeySen-related pictures:



Accept the truth. You like to fly kites.


Not oversimplified at all.


My favorite book.


Will post about it when I get back. :)

Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. --Job 1:21

(If you get the reference, you're cool.)

10 comments - click to comment:

Michael said...

I love your map of the Bible, you need to make more of it.
:P

Anonymous said...

omg..if i went to that school, all the teachers would hate me XD

Unknown said...

Eli, I love reading your blog - it's toooooo funny! I can't wait to hear about your experiences at this other school. Have fun!

Michael said...

Hey, Eli, did you stay up until 12 AM there watching the Wimbledon final? :)

eli said...

HAHAHAHA Michael. :D I will for sure. and no-- until 1 AM watching the world cup. :)

Chris said...

I am STILL laughing at your pictures and captions. You are too funny. I loved the Google map with kanji! (And do you remember when you first innocently said Mound of Olives? I laughed for an hour :-) Still laughing :-))

I must admit I love the whole facepalmed thing. So perfect an image for those times when there are no words. (Are you Brad's mother? would qualify :-))

eli said...

Michael: Hmm... my comment disappeared from before?? .__. I didn't, but instead I stayed up until 1 AM watching the World Cup. :)

Mom: I first said it in D.C. of course. :D

Claire said...

See I told you about the kindergarten with ponies. Miracle's school was in Izumi-ku and it was all religious and private and stuff with religion class like Edgewood. But of course you would know because you read Alexa's blog :D

eli said...

Claire, my school is in Izumi-ku too. :) Though I live in Miyagino-ku. It's a private school but not religious. What is the name of the school Alexa and Miracle went to?

Amy said...

Ha! I actually started laughing out loud when I saw that you captioned the picture "Stories About Jesus" as your favorite book. Somehow, I doubt that ;)

Post a Comment

Please don't post anonymous comments-- enter your name, or choose to comment with your Google/Gmail account!