Saturday, July 10, 2010

YFU stuff at MeySen

As the title suggests, I went to MeySen (the Takamori campus) once more to attend the YFU meeting with my host brother and mom, as he's going to America in August. I also saw a friend from YFU there with her host sister. THE SLIDES THERE ARE RIDICULOUSLY LONG AND THEY HAVE HUGE PLAYGROUNDS. One of the many (probably around 10+) slides there was 23 meters (~75.5 feet) and the other 29 meters (~95 feet). So fun. It took me 8 seconds to get to the bottom... and it was FAST. And then there was this one slide that had this HUGE drop-- it scared me. :P You see a couple huge slides and a big playground (and a beautiful waterfall, too!) at first, but once climbing through the trees in metal-bar tunnels and such, you see there are tons and tons of more playgrounds and stuff. It's just... ridiculously cool. I walked the long path around the lake too. :) It really was beautiful. ...and of course I did all this during the meeting which was all in Japanese (the principal told me to "feel free to step out"). There were also ponies, a goat, a ram, some birds, rabbits, chinchillas, a prairie dog and a super loud bird that was going to be returned to the petshop because it was too loud for the kindergartners ( :( ).I couldn't take any pictures though as I forgot my camera... AGAIN. My host brother sternly told me that "I didn't need it"
though, and hurriedly rushed me out of the house before I could even put my socks on.
I also got pictures from the high school camp at MeySen. These four that I'm posting are online on MeySen's website too, so I don't think they'll really mind if I post them here, too. :)



I also saw some 学園祭 (gakuensai, school festivals) going on, but I didn't get to go to any.

...and that's all that has really happened in the past few days that's been all that exciting. I've gotten to page four in my Oreimo book (WHOOP WHOOP)... considering I've been translating EVERYTHING I don't completely understand, along with finding out how to pronounce all the kanji without furigana. (And in case you don't know, furigana is tiny little hiragana to the side/on top of kanji telling you how to read it.)

There's talk of karaoke and purikura next week (again, that's a link, so click if you don't know what it is), and I'm pretty sure we're going to a shrine/temple tomorrow with my host mom's mother. I'm excited. :D :)

Bai bai for now. :3

4 comments - click to comment:

Michael said...

Oh my GOSH those slides are HUGE!!!

eli said...

I know right! :D

Chris said...

You like that green t-shirt, don't you? :-) (I laughed at the photo of you towering over your host mom and her mother...in other post). Your Japanese must really be improving. I'm impressed with your tenacity. It sounds like such a complicated language (kanji and furigana!), and almost like you have to learn two languages, one spoken, one written. Karaoke sounds like a blast. You might want to wear a different t-shirt for the photo stickers :-)

eli said...

Okay, Mom. ;P

It basically is like learning two languages-- except one is pretty easy for me and the othersome is just bothersome to memorize... especially since they have different readings in compounds (parts of a word), etc... :)

Post a Comment

Please don't post anonymous comments-- enter your name, or choose to comment with your Google/Gmail account!